The pregnancy



My journey into motherhood


Sunday, March 11, 2007

Questions Answered

This is just a quick response to the questions I have had about the bleeding after Jonas was born.

When I began to bleed alot moments after Jonas was born, the midwives were ready with a shot of oxytocin which they injected into my thigh - I couldn't feel it at all - we were still laughing and looking at our little Jonas. The oxytocin is a hormone that helps the uterus contract quickly (among other things)- our bodies release it, but they just gave me more to help in the contracting department. Once the uterus begins to contract, the bleeding slows and stops and the placenta is delivered. I was given a second shot of oxytocin as I was still bleeding quite abit. I was feeling fine at this point, but the midwives wanted to be cautious, so they gave me an IV with oxytocin at which time they decided it would be best for me to be at the hospital for observation. It all happened very fast and by the time I got to the hospital the bleeding had slowed and I was stable - and still in happy La La land with Jordan and Jonas.

We spent the night at the hospital, which was comfy and easy. The nurses helped with latch on. The next day we went home and although I was quite pale looking with dark circles under my eyes, I felt really good. I am not sure but I think I was running on adrenalin for several days after the birth - I just felt so good. I also took alot of iron supplements and ate alot of kale and spinach and meat. I am not a big meat eater, but my body really craved it then.

I felt completely confident throughout the birth and with the midwives and even when I was bleeding, I was never worried. We have such great healthcare in Canada and I am just glad that when emergencies do arise, we have nurses and doctors who are well trained and able to perform at high levels in the rare situation when things don't progress smoothly. Our midwives are also highly trained with many years of intense schooling behind them.

I hope that answers some of your questions out there!

1 comment:

  1. Hey my little meat eatin' mommy!
    I can't wait to see you! Is next Thursday still good?

    ReplyDelete