The pregnancy



My journey into motherhood


Saturday, October 07, 2006

Week 19

We had our first ultrasound on Thurs at Campbell River General. Wow! The baby was so much higher than I ever thought! When the technician started pushing her wand up around my ribs, we could see the head. I was totally surprised. How could it be that high up already and how could it be that big when I had barely looked pregnant two weeks ago? My belly is growing so quickly now and its finally feeling more real now. Really real! The entire area from my pubic bone to my rib cage is sticking out and things already feel really tight! My poor organs, stomach and intestines have fled towards my back and its now all baby up front.

Another new strange feeling is that I get sooo full so easily now. It feels like I have barely eaten enough to properly fill me up and around that point I feel like I have eaten for hours! A small amount of food really stuffs me up good. This means that I am eating more frequently with smaller portion sizes and anytime I forget and eat too much, I suffer!

My next midwife appointment is on Tuesday, so we should have the results of the ultrasound at that point. I wonder if Gaelyn will be surprised at the growth of the baby since my last visit? Or maybe this kind of quick growth is typical amongst first time moms?

Jordan is anxious to feel the little one's kicks, especially now since I feel them so much and so frequently. I think its just a matter of days when he will be able to finally feel movement with his own hands. We have had alot of fun in this pregnancy together - Jordan is so involved with everything and its so nice to be able to share everything with each other as time goes on. He has so much interest in every aspect of pregnancy - he brought up the topic of the perineum the other day and how he read that its not always so good to cut it and that in most water births, the perineum never tears because of how elastic it becomes from the bathwater. At this point, as long as the baby and I are strong and healthy, we will be having a home birth. Maybe some of it will include laboring in water, it would be very soothing and I love baths...

It's Thanksgiving weekend and I am glad to have some days to relax. I have felt tired the last few days and I think I am battling a cold. I am really stuffed up and abit achy all over. I'm sure it'll pass quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at you go, blog mama! I love the sidebar photo! Are you going to updates it as you grow? Please do! It will be fun!

    ReplyDelete